Sunday, August 9, 2009

MELONCOLY OPHIUCHUS






The Serpent in me watches the fair sheep while particles of her scent falls upon my forked tongue!


I'm not very hungry, having had one only a few days ago. I grimace, wishing I could close my eyes and shut out the world for a while. I cannot let my guard down. In this world, I'm lower than a rat, feared by most and loathed by all. The fire inside festers upward, glowing at first, then bursts into a fierce fireball longing to be released. I hold back the urge to fire it out my bellowing mouth. I cannot waste it you see, you never know when you might need it for a fast defense. I crawl out to my ledge to watch the great fireball in the sky drop and disappear out of sight. Twilight will fall upon me soon enough, leaving this vast lonely void to engulf me. I lower my head to the edge of the ledge and thoughts of my long lost mate flood my vision. How many thousands of years more would it be before we can be together once more. A chilling cold breeze fills the air, helping me to realize my lonely pitiful existence. The air stills again as darkness blankets over me. The silhouette of my head now only outlined by the soft glow of my eyes. What I would give for a Dragon-slayer to play with tonight to take my mind off of my true love.



I'm a young bold western red Dragon and she is a fair slender blue eastern Dragon whose breath is soft as clouds. My head is tickled by a moist warm mist as a howl of wind meanders through my cave. I yawn as wisps of smoke escape my lips. Soon I will make my nighttime search once again for the love of my life, but for now I wait for the slow fog to encompass me. I ponder where to search tonight as I stretch out my wings to ready for flight. I leap to my feet, as I step closer to the ledge to take off. Narrowing my gaze to the north, I decide to head toward the Harrowing forest. As I circle the castle from afar looking for any sign of Knight activity, I observe the unusual deadness amongst the vast and dense forest. I continue my northerly trek as the chilling air smacks my nostrils. My fiery red eyes pick up a blue glimmering reflection from the left deep within the dense forest. I turn and begin to descend down toward it...



As I soar through the trees and land in a clearing, I turn in circles looking for the blue reflection that caught my attention before. Suddenly, I'm hit with a faint scent of my love! I leap around and frantically trying to pinpoint the source. She was here! I see no sign of her now sadly, as Dragon scent can linger for a very long time. I hear a rustle of leaves behind me and I turn in great anticipation. It is not her but a knight yielding a huge two handed sword towards me. My first instinct is the fry him on the spot. Stupid human! But something tells me to wait. Perhaps he has seen my love! I cannot just waste him without that possibility. I look around for more possible human fools but only see this one. I ponder how to handle him, as I sidestep around him. I shoot of a couple of small fireballs along either side of him. He must know I mean business, nor can I let my guard down. I move closer to him and smell him to see if I can pick up any trace of her. Nothing hits my senses except his fowl smell. The human continues to stand guard, watching intently for the next attack. After all, he has been taught that we always attack, and he is sure that he must be ready with shield in hand. I think for a moment what fun I could have taunting him, but I have more pressing issues. In a lightning quick move, I feign to the the right and slash my tail to the left, taking him down hard, knocking his sword across the way. What an amateur, I think to myself.

Human I bellow at him," have you encountered a blue Dragon in these woods? Answer quickly or I shall carry ye off to my lair for a midnight snack!" I draw a deep breath as if to deliver on my threat. I rear up and fire over his head! He quickly tries to roll away.


He screams, "I know not what you speak of, I swear!"

I look to his eyes for any sign of deceit, but see none.

I bark back, "Be gone with you useless human before I change my mind!"

I decide perhaps I'll follow this fool for a while from afar to see where he leads...


It is not easy following something so small without being noticed. I'm not graceful and being so large your bound to make some noise. I wonder what the dumb human is doing out here, as he does not seem to be much of a Dragon Slayer. He never showed me any moves that would lead me to believe that he had any clue about fighting Dragons or any other creature for that matter.

I soon bored with him and as I was picking up no new scent of my love, I began to question whether I really smelled her in the first place. Perhaps out of despair and longing my nostrils deceived me. I let out a big sigh and once again felt the rush of depression overtaking my being.

I took to the sky once again. As I soared higher I pondered whether to return to my lair or to go on searching. I could see the silly human become smaller and smaller. I have yet to meet any human that was a match for me but this one took the cake. I decided to continue on my search, after all I had come this far. It was incredibly quiet and almost serene up here, as if the world below was just an illusion. I enjoyed being in the air, as it was the only time I could feel completely free.

After what seemed like hours had passed, I took notice of my surroundings and realized that nothing below looked familiar. How could that be, I knew this land like the back of my hand, yet at the moment I felt disoriented. I allowed myself to drift down so I could get a different perspective. I could see a faint image of light coming from the side of a mountain up ahead. I went toward it and landed just several feet from what looked like the opening of a cave. I approached slowly and with caution. Just as I was facing the entrance, I saw another human going toward the cave. She did not see me as I was behind a cluster of pine trees. I watched her for a moment. She was beautiful and fair for a human. She had long red hair that was pulled back in a ponytail. Her features were soft, but her body was lean and sturdy. She was armed with a shield and what looked like some kind of bone club. Her clothes were skin tight and accented her natural form. She wore very sparse armor that looked like it would not stop anything from penetrating her. She walked slowly and deliberately as if stalking someone or something. I found her fascinating to observe for some reason. I could not understand why, as I had never found any human to be interesting before. If nothing else, she was certainly more than that idiot I was following before. Perhaps there was something within her spirit that got my attention. I continued to watch her from behind. I followed her as far as I could fit in the cave but soon it became too small to proceed, so I returned to the entrance and waited to see if she would come out. After several hours she did finally return. It looked as if she had picked up some items and some different weapons, that led me to believe that she had done battle in there. She looked weary but an aura of accomplishment was surrounding her spirit. She stopped at the entrance to build a small fire and it looked like she would settle in for the night there. She kept looking around as if she sensed my presence nearby. She was sniffing the air which I found amusing as humans have such a mediocre sense of smell. She prepared a meal from what looked like a small mammal of some kind and then began to lay out a bed by the fire. I saw this as an opportunity to take a light nap myself as a full bright moon arose from the horizon. I took in a deep breath as I relaxed my eyes and kept in the moon-shadows of the trees. As she lay there by the fire, I was suddenly connected to her spirit as if her mind were in some dream sequence of events I could not understand. I must be dreaming or in some kind of trance but I could read her thoughts as if they were my own. Someone or something higher was telling me, compelling me to speak to her.

I could not believe the rush of emotions that overcame me but I was also not afraid of this new experience. There was something very calming about our mental connection, as if it were meant to be. I was interrupted suddenly by the sound of two Grulls approaching her. Grulls are predatory and brutal beings that inhabit the land. They are expert at banditry and usually kill those who they rob. I jumped to my feet, and before they were within ten feet of her I fired off two fireballs directly into them, frying them in their tracks. She immediately leaped to her feet her club in hand with speed I had never observed in a human before. She glanced quickly around, then at their charred bodies, then she spotted me.........To be continued....

GidsGarb.blogspot.com is copyrighted © and may not be used without permission from the creator

4 comments:

  1. Extremely descriptive and emotional! Keep writing it. This is the first I've seen of your fiction writing and I dare say that you are very talented.

    I love dragons and medieval scenery, knights and such. This should be a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. waiting for the next part--you could even do it in poetic form-like an epic poem-that would be cool-when will u add the next part?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you PeractoVita and afrancum1 for you comments and interest. It is a long process for me to write this kind of story. I love it but it is not easy. I have a storyline now so I at least know which direction to take it. I like your idea of making it epic poetic afrancum1. I'm not sure how to go about it but will explore that. I appreciate your support and friendship...Gidyean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... it seems so real to me! you do have a talent for writing my friend, and you leave me wanting more!!! Thank you for shairng! ~~♥~~

    ReplyDelete