Sunday, November 8, 2009

MORAL ISSUES AROUND ASSISTED SUICIDE




Today would have been my mother's birthday! She left us after suffering from Alzheimer's for the last part of her life. I was playing the song "mother" by Tori Amos to a dear friend when I realized what today was. My friends gift to me to keep me from being sad was to share her experience with helping her mother in assisted suicide. I cannot even fathom how something like that would affect me. I believe that when someone you love is suffering so much and there is nothing else that can be done to help them, that it is OK to help them cross over. The thought of actually having to assist with that is something I'm sure none of us can imagine how that feels. I know at some point I may be faced with this same decision. How do you weigh or balance your feelings on such a heavy burden? The legal ramifications alone, would be enough to scare me but as in her situation, the love for that person and helping them to end their suffering would out weigh the consequences. The guilt associated with the assist must be overwhelming though and I imagine would take a long time to heal from. whether one believes or not in suicide, there are some situations that make it impossible to just allow nature or God take care of. I know one day I will be faced with the same decision as we have already discussed at length this option when the time comes. Will I have the courage and will to carry this out? I hope I will, but I dread the thought of having to be in this position. If it was me who had to ask someone to help me die, I would hope they would help me leave the suffering behind and I know I would have to be at the brink of tolerance to give up hope like that. None of us really know what we would do, except my friend, but after reading extensively about starvation and what the body and soul goes through during that, there comes a point of no return when it must be best to resolve yourself to allow to move on to the next plane. Helping someone cross over can be a beautiful gift and everlasting at that. Feel free to post comments pro and con for I know there are many right and wrong answers on the subject. Judge not lest ye be judged comes to mind.

3 comments:

  1. I was moved greatly by this. I can relate to both losing a parent and in assisted suicide. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and views on this subject. XX Lisa_Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your friend is very lucky to have you in her life. Thank you for sharing this, Gidyean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. Interesting situation, contemplative and anxiety-inducing because of the ethical, legal and moral questions you raise. Bless you for your candor. -Kristy

    ReplyDelete