Saturday, July 31, 2010

FULL MOON FEVER

Today I'd like to re-visit an great artist and a great album

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Full Moon Fever

Tom is on tour again this summer and I've seen them in Phoenix and they never disappoint!

Usually when he performs here, Stevie Nicks will join him for a special appearance to do Stop Dragging My Heart Around and other songs. She has roots here so of course she will always try to appear with him here. I know she makes appearances in other towns too, but we are partial to her here.

First up: Free Fallin'

This song has old stomping ground memories for me. I used to hang out in all these places he sings about. Cruising Mulholland on my motorcycle, Ventura blvd. Yeah great times and places to be. Feel good song no matter where you are from.



Next: I Won't Back Down

You can stand me up at the gates of hell, well I'll stand my ground and keep this world from dragging me down and I won't back down. Such great lyrics about dealing with the struggles that life can throw at you. Tom does it best, co written by Jeff Lynne, with never mentioning anything specific leaving it up to the listener to form their own opinion. Brilliant!



Love is a Long Road by Tom Petty and Mike Campbell

This song has to grow on you. The more you listen it, the more it takes on different meanings and at different times in your life.



next: A Face In The Crowd written by Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne

A great love song with simplistic lyrics and a haunting melody drawing you in. The use of the repetitive acoustic guitar and percussion makes it easy to picture that face in the crowd.



Before all of this ever went down

In another place, another town,
You were just a face in the crowd
Out in the street walking around
A face in the crowd

Out of a dream, out of the sky
Into my heart, into my life

And you were just a face in the crowd
Out in the street, thinking out loud
A face in the crowd

Out of a dream, out of the sky
Into my heart, into my life

And you were just a face in the crowd
Out in the street, thinking out loud
A face in the crowd
A face in the crowd
A face in the crowd

Next: Running Down A Dream. This one by Tom Petty Jeff Lynne and Mike Campbell

Also the tittle of a documentary about Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers directed by Peter Bogdonovich 2007.



Everyone knows this song! A huge hit single. Great cruising music!

This was one of the first albums to be transferred to CD. Tom makes a joke between this song and You'll Feel A Whole lot Better.

Hello CD listeners, we've come to the point where those of you who have albums or tapes must turn them over. So we will take a moment to recognize them....ok here's side two.... or something pretty close to that.



A song Tom played with the Byrds. Written by Gene Clark and released in 1965 on the "B" side of All I Really Want To Do.

Yer So Bad by Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne

Great lyrics and a fun song so typical of southern California mindset!



Next: Depending on you by Tom Petty

baby if you can't change the world
maybe you should just change yourself
you used to be such a sweet young girl
why you wanna be someone else?

The Apartment Song



this version is with Stevie Nicks again. Listening to this I don't miss those days of apartment living!

Alright For Now by Tom Petty.

Just a sweet love song. Quite simple and beautifully done.



A Mind With A Heart Of It's Own by Tom Petty

Well I been to Brooker and I been to Micanopy

I been to St. Louis too I been all around the world

I've been over to your house

And you've been over sometimes to my house

I've slept in your tree house

My middle name is Earl



Last but not least: The Zombie Zoo by Tom Petty

All down the street they're standin' in line
with white lipstick and one thing on their mind
Hey little freak with the lunch pail purse
underneath the paint you're just a little girl

Dancin' at the Zombie Zoo, dancin' at the Zombie Zoo
Painted in a corner and all you wanna do
is dance down at the Zombie Zoo

Cute little dropout, how come you pack a rod
is your mother in a clinic? has your father got no job?
Sometimes you're so impulsive,
you shaved off all your hair
you look like Boris Karloff and you don't even care

You're dancin' at the Zombie Zoo
dancin' at the Zombie Zoo
painted in a corner and all you wanna do is dance down at the
Zombie Zoo

She disappears at sunrise, I wonder where
she goes until
the night comes fallin' down again she shows
up with her friends half-alive

You can make a big impression or
go through life unseen
you might wind up restricted and over seventeen
it's so hard to be careful, so easy to be led
Somewhere beyond the pavement
you'll find the living dead



Some say it is about a hooker or a stripper. You can make up your own mind about that. A girl living on the edge for sure!

Cute little dropout, how come you pack a rod
Is your mother in a clinic? has your father got no job?
Sometimes you're so impulsive,
You shaved off all your hair
You look like Boris Karloff and you don't even care

Out for money and protection seems like to me. She also seems scared in a cruel world she has been thrown into.

http://musiclovers.24websurf.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=25&action=edit copyrighted © and may not be used without permission from the creator.

2 comments:

  1. wickedly cool
    I have always loved Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers...
    what a cool way to offer us the music
    the lyrics and what they seem to say from your view :~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Luna!
    I thank you kindly for your insightful comments. It's fun to talk amongst friends and get their take on what the songs mean to them. I'm glad you like the new format for offering the music :)
    Gid~

    ReplyDelete